Volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day life of Moonlit Sanctuary and have done so since the park first opened in 2001. Some of the tasks volunteers assist the sanctuary with include:
- Enclosure cleaning and maintenance including raking, weeding, fence & window cleaning.
- Enclosure renovations which include re-mulching enclosures and changing over of large perches.
- Preparing and providing animal enrichments.
- Assisting keepers with health checks.
- Animal observations.
- Facilitating our touch table experience for visitors.
- Assisting keepers in encounters such as our Wombat Walk or as ushers at certain encounter/presentations.
- Assisting keepers and gaining an understanding of a zookeeper’s role.
- Able to commit to weekly or fortnightly shifts from 8:15am until 3pm.
- Must be over the age of eighteen
Currently, we do not have any vacancies within our volunteer program. We no longer have a waiting list; any available positions will be advertised on our Facebook page
Work Placement Program
Moonlit Sanctuary’s work placement program consists of a two-week position that runs from Monday to Friday, 8:45am until 4:30pm. Students assist keepers with tasks including feeding, enclosure maintenance and enrichment. You will work alongside keepers from different departments, gaining experience and knowledge with a variety of species. Our program is not limited to tertiary students and is open to anyone over the age of 18 wanting to gain experience within a captive animal facility.
Please note: for students wanting to study/studying their Certificate III in Captive Animals or in Wildlife & Exhibited Animal Care we are not able to be a supervising institution for you to complete the course.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
We can cater to corporate or educational groups who are willing to assist with tasks such as painting, planting and mulching. These must be organised well in advance as we are only able to offer a few opportunities per year. For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator.